Why I Don’t Have New Years Resolutions

With the new year beginning, one of the most popular questions when talking with others is “what is your new years resolution?” Most years, I reply I don’t have one. Often after saying that, weird looks are shared upon me. The thing is, I don’t really believe in them. I hear too many resolutions that fail, people forget about them, it’s fun for a day and then time to move on, etc. To be honest, I hear about resolutions at the beginning of the year, see more people in the gym for a few months, and then no one remembers or shares them anymore. Yes, it’s a shame, but it’s also reality.

fresh  new start

I don’t need a new year to begin something. I don’t need a new year to change something. I don’t need a new year to organize, or plan things, or do anything. I’m given a fresh new start every single day I wake up. All we need in life is a desire to change something.

When I make little changes, I have a much higher chance of sticking to them. I don’t do well with huge challenges over my head, or thinking I have to do something and change something. Most years when I did make resolutions, they weren’t worthwhile because I never knew what to change. When I sense I am not eating as healthy as I should, I don’t wait for some monumental time to change that. I simply start. It’s all about starting, and continuing. By making small goals, it’s easier to stick with them. I tend to lose focus a few months in, or if I begin not following through, then I just throw in the towel  because I already messed up.

By not making resolutions, and just making changes when we want to, we don’t need to have that feeling of failure. We don’t have to have others question what we are doing. We can do what we want, when we want, and work towards our happiness.
Life is all about happiness, and it’s up to us to change that, whenever we want to.

Now that I’m off my soap box… there are a few things I am looking forward to in 2014!

• Aaron and I were gifted a weekend in NYC from our great friend for our wedding, and we are planning on using that this spring!
  • Vacation with my dad’s family to Deep Creek in early July
  • Boating Season
  • Vacation to Sandbridge with my mom’s family in late July
  • Our One Year Wedding Anniversary (which we will happen to be at the beach for!)
  • Spending the summer in our house and hopefully making the yard look decent!
  • At least three, but hopefully four wedding this year!

There are plenty of other things that can happen, and I’m hoping to make happen, but those will be shared as they become a reality.

New years resolutions.. yay or nay?
What is one thing you are looking forward to in 2014?

**New Years Resolutions may work for you and I am not trying to tell you not to do them! This is just what I have found when talking to others, and with myself. In no way do I put down anyone who has them!**

Comments

1. Love it! 110% concur!
    Dana recently posted…My thoughts and a few 2013 highlightsMy Profile

2. I’ve never been a fan of resolutions either. It’s probably from all my years of working in a gym! I prefer to make more tangible goals that I know I can accomplish and work towards them throughout the year.
    Stacie @ Simply Southern Stacie recently posted…Christmas in the City: The Last Day : (My Profile

3. I don’t do resolutions but I do make goals and plans for the year at the start of it… I like to have things on the calendar to look forward to :)
    Cori @ olivetorun recently posted…Would You Rather Running Style Survey #7My Profile

Absolutely agree! I definitely have things I want to do this year, but I don’t really call them resolutions.

4. I don’t usually make resolutions either, but I like to think about what I would like to do in the new year and what I can improve on. But like you said, I like to make realistic goals. And like I put in my post yesterday, I think of it more as my hopes than my resolutions. It looks like 2014 will be a fun year for you! I am looking forward to looking for our first home to buy! We are renting right now, but we hope this year we can buy our own house.
    Becky recently posted…Surprise, Surprise!My Profile

Buying a home can be fun! Since you aren’t planning a wedding too, I know you will have a blast with it! I saw your post yesterday and totally agreed. I have many things I want to happen, and hope do happen.

5. I definitely see where you are coming from with the resolutions, for me I like setting goals for myself that’s why i do it
    Elise @ 9toFit.com recently posted…5 Reasons You Need the New Ab Training Plan & Some Winners!My Profile

6. I am not a big resolutioner either. Instead I like the idea of having things to look forward to like you listed. Always nice to see what is in store for the year. I am excited for you, those all look so fun.
    Alex @ therunwithin recently posted…TOT: No, Not Tater TotsMy Profile

I enjoy looking forward and having goals in mind to attack, but just not having something that I “need” to accomplish all year.

7. I’m not big on resolutions either — too much pressure. I like to go into the new year with a word or phrase to direct my mindset, and use that to motivate my actions instead. And you’re right — if someone wants to change, they can make new goals at any moment instead of waiting, even though the little extra boost of motivation around New Years is nice…
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. thinking out loud #59 .My Profile

Yes! That’s exactly my frame of mind. The new year is a blank start, and I do like that. I just don’t understand why people who, come November, want to start working out or eating better, and wait until the new year. It just doesn’t make sense to me when you could start on any given day!

8. You read my mind! These reasons are the exact reason I don’t like them. Plus the fact that, I don’t like that everybody gets all excited and says, “I’m going to be better than I was last year” “This will be my healthiest year yet”. Then within a couple weeks, everything is forgotten. I don’t think we should need a new year to decide something, and I think we should be working everyday to better ourselves. I love having mini goals throughout the year, for me at least, it helps me to continue to push myself. But like you said, whatever floats your boat :)
    Chelsea @ A Fit LittleOne recently posted…And That’s A Wrap!My Profile

9. The dreaded gym resolution is the bane of my existence, and I have never seen it more than while I was at school. It’s either people want to make it their resolution or lose weight for spring break, and the gym is incredibly crowded for about four weeks and then it totally drops off. I wish everyone could just stick to it if that’s really what they want to do! Or just get off my treadmill… but that’s a little mean of me because I do want everyone to find their health. Catch 22 for me I guess.
    Ang @ Nutty for Life recently posted…A Happy Birthday & PlanksMy Profile

NO way, I totally understand. To be honest, I hated going to the gym during January and part of February every year because people would be there taking up the equipment but not really wanting to do anything. Theyd be slowly walking, or talking to friends while on the elliptical, and I could NEVER get on a machine. So I’m right there with ya!

10. I am not a resolutioner I’m the least. I know myself and I know that if I say I’m going to start doing something just because it’s New Years, it won’t happen. I’ll have a slip up and then throw in the towel and do the opposite of whatever my resolution was. I’m not a big goal person in general because of that pressure. I’d rather just live my life day to day because the minute I make all of these big expectations for myself, I want to do the complete opposite. But I AM looking forward to 2014- graduating, hopefully landing a job and apartment in boston, and of course boating season ;)
    Sarah @pickyrunner recently posted…New year confessionsMy Profile

Yess!! That’s how I am too. And usually I don’t think about resolutions until right before the new year, so then it would be something totally ridiculous and I’d fail anyway. I don’t do great with tons of pressure, but some I can handle. It depends if it is something I really want to do or if I feel like I need to do it for some other reason. If that’s the case, it never happens.

11. We speak the same language where this is concerned. I don’t believe in resolutions either; I prefer to make changes as I need to, which makes them much more likely to stick. I do like setting goals for the year to keep track of certain things, so this year for instance one of my goals is to get a newer car by march/april, so I made a new budget for myself for each month this year. Helps me stay on track with stuff without setting something I’ll lose interest in in a month
    Caitlin recently posted…Thinking Out Loud #4My Profile

Those are great goals and i love having a time frame for them! That’s what I like most about goals is the time frame and how to make it work. Things won’t just appear, but like you said making a budget and saving money allow you to work towards it and see the accomplishment when it happens!

12. Great post, lady! And so true. Small changes are the way to go. If I ever even think about making a big change I get anxious, and immediately fail. We are planning of visiting some of Charlie’s family in Philadelphia in the spring, and I am so excited to visit the east coast for the first time. :)
    Heather Murphy recently posted…Nine foolproof ways to feel confident and sexier than ever this year.My Profile

I am the same way! Give me small things to achieve and I’m great. Tell me a big change and it’s automatically failing on my part. I just don’t do well with huge things. Phili is only like 5 hours from me! Make a pit stop, please?? haha :)

13. It sounds like you have a fun year ahead! I think a lot of people forget about their resolutions but sometimes it’s fun to have goals to work towards. I don’t have a resolution per say but I’m always trying to be healthy, friendly and open to new experiences.
    Nicole @ FruitnFitness recently posted…The cold cabins and new yearsMy Profile

I love having goals, and completely agree with you. I love what you are working towards all the time. Everyone needs to be working on those things not just for resolutions, but for every day.

14. Hey Heather! long time no see ;) I am a no go on the resolutions.. it’s great to set goals, but set them when you feel like it… not just jAN 1!
    emma @ be mom strong recently posted…Welcome to Be Mom Strong- OfficiallyMy Profile

15. No resolutions here, but I did make some small, attainable goals for myself that I want to work on.
    Jen@PregnantDiabetic recently posted…2014My Profile

16. i definitely agree with everything you said and i think people need to set goals when they are READY to set goals and not just make them because it is january 1. i AM a new years resolutioner because I like the idea of starting fresh, of having a set time when one chapter can end and another can begin. 2013 wasn’t a great year for me so it is nice to be able to look at 2014 with optimistic eyes :)
    jenn @ runnderlust recently posted…Never Ever Will I Run Another Half MarathonMy Profile

Aww I hope 2014 is better for you! I definitely think resolutions can work for those who want them to work and work towards achieving them!

17. I agree that people often make grand resolutions that they work towards for about a month or so, but as soon as they experience their first failure they give up… This year I have goals that I’m working towards. They’re realistic (in my opinion!) so I’m hopeful that I can make them happen :)
    Allison @ Life’s a Bowl recently posted…2014 Mantra: Make it happen.My Profile

18. I agree with you a lot about New Year’s resolutions usually being forgotten. You definitely don’t need a new year to set a new goal. I didn’t want to set resolutions, but unfortunately I was already planning on making a huge life change with my blogging, so I decided to call that a resolution kind of since it was timed that way. I felt like it was kind of lame because I said it wasn’t a resolution since I thought of it well before the New Year. I just couldn’t get my stuff together over the holidays so New Year’s Resolution it is. For me, it’s more of a mindset that I want to adopt not just for the New Year but going forward into the future.
    Melissa @ Freeing Imperfections recently posted…2014: Resolve to Be Your (Imperfect) SelfMy Profile

I completely understand your thinking! I also applaud you in figuring out what is going to work the best for you, and I think they work perfectly with resolutions in mind. I definitely think they can work for people, but the unrealistic ones are the ones that I don’t understand the most! haha

19. Great post. I always found it odd that folks felt they must wait for a new calendar year to start working towards a better version of themselves. I do think it’s wonderful that people are reflecting and wanting to make a change, but sadly they need to be realistic and make obtainable goals. I decided to skip the resolutions and go with a theme for the year. I’m looking forward to the adventures that await me. Last year I started building the foundation for a healthier lifestyle and I look forward to seeing the results in 2014.

Happy New Year
    Amusingly Quirky Gal recently posted…A Simple Theme For The New Year: DaringMy Profile

That’s such a great theme for the year! Being daring pretty much works with every aspect of life, and is a fantastic word to live out the year with!