The Polar Vortex of 2014 and a Workout to Warm You Up

Wow is it cold outside! We are experiencing the coldest temperatures in years, as most of you all are I assume, too! The first school that I sub for called it off today at 12:00 yesterday, and the rest of the districts around closed shortly after. Though I would rather be working right now to make money, I’m all about staying inside and snuggling with my Benny.

Benson in his bedDSCN0360

I just wish Aaron was home and didn’t have to make the long trek to work, and go to his grad school class tonight. Definitely not fun, but I hope everyone stays safe in the weather out there!

It was actually the warmest yesterday early in the morning. We had a beautiful snow fall, so I shoveled our driveway a bit before I headed into school (I had a two hour delay yesterday, too), and the temps dropped quickly after that. The wind chill started dropping, and the wind picked up immensely. By the time I was on bus duty, it felt like –8, and continued to drop all night.

snow covered hills

I’m not going to lie, I went outside just to feel the temps. With the windchill, we were down to –30F! Aaron and I also threw water into the air to see what happened.

throwing water in air

It actually worked! The water froze while in the air.

While it’s freezing outside, that doesn’t mean we have to stay cold. This week’s workout will be sure to make you sweat. It will warm you up pretty fast, and leave you dripping sweat by the end. I did this one on Saturday, and though it’s a basic HIIT, it’s fantastic, and reminds me I need to incorporate HIIT into my workouts some more.

hiit workout_thumb[2]

I used the treadmill, but it could certainly be done using any cardio equipment!

I hope everyone is staying safe and warm! If you don’t need to go out, I suggest you don’t!

If you need me today, I’ll be cuddled under the heated blanket, with some Benson loving, and a fresh cup of tea.

DSCN0357

I made a wife mug, and Aaron has a husband mug. Cheesy, but I love it.

What do you do on snow days?

What’s your favorite kind of tea?

Comments

1. I can’t believe it is so cold that the water froze mid-air! Crazy! Y’all stay safe and warm!
    Stacie @ Simply Southern Stacie recently posted…Marathon CountdownMy Profile

I’m trying to! Poor Aaron had to go to work, as with just about everyone. Wish the governor would’ve closed businesses. The roads are so icy!

2. I love the wife and husband mugs! I love cheesy things. :) And oh my goodness I can’t believe how cold it is where you are! I can’t even imagine! Try to stay warm, and enjoy cuddling with Benson on this cold day!
    Becky recently posted…Freezing Weather and Soft Serve Ice CreamMy Profile

Aw thanks! I thought they were cute, haha. Yes, I can’t believe it either. Honestly, it feels like you are walking through an ice cube. I have opened the door to throw recycling out and thought I was getting cut with blades, haha. I moved Aaron’s car this morning for him to take mine and it barely started, and couldn’t get up the driveway it was so cold. Blah!

3. I love those mugs! Did you paint them yourselves? We’re experiencing the same weather here. My hubby wanted to try throwing water outside, but I said too cold to go outside to try it! I took to the treadmill yesterday. I’m so thankful I can still sweat it out inside or I’d get restless! Enjoy your day and stay warm!!
    Nikki @ grab your kicks recently posted…Runners Don’t Hibernate, Except for TodayMy Profile

I have a Cricut machine, and it cut it out on vinyl that stuck on the mugs! You cracked me up, haha. I did yell at my husband when he took our cat outside (first of all, he’s not an outside cat ha) because it was freezing! I am glad you have a treadmill, too! It’s the best for these freezing cold days.

4. SO COLD!!!! trader joe’s caffeine-free candy cane green tea is my absolute favorite! i’m drinking it right now sweetened even more with vanilla nunaturals and a little half and half!
    Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted…23 Weeks Pregnant | A Round BumpMy Profile

I actually have that! I only tried it once, but I think I’ll give it another go today! Sounds perfect for a cold snowy day!

5. OMG…this weather is absolutely insane! Walking into work this morning was sooooo cold despite my multiple layers. I can’t believe the water froze in the air! Yikes!
    Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted…2013 Blog HighlightsMy Profile

I’m glad you made it through this cold weather without getting frostbite :) Hoping it warms up for your drive home!

6. That’s crazy that the water just froze like that! We don’t usually get snow days where I live, maybe one day a year. I don’t know how to handle myself in snow so it’s good we don’t get a lot!
    Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food recently posted…New goals for 2014My Profile

Haha It’s funny that we really haven’t been getting snow much the last few years, but it’s all sorts of confused. When the weather starts warming up, it starts to snow and then turn to sleet. Then, when it’s done snowing, it freezes up to these ungodly temperatures. Weird, lol. I wish it would snow and be cold rather than one or the other.

7. Well I hope it warms up enough for you to go make some moo-la! But cuddles with a kitty aren’t bad at all :) I love pretty much all tea! I haven’t found one I don’t like yet!
    Chelsea @ A Fit LittleOne recently posted…Big News And A Recipe!My Profile

Really?! Believe it or not, I hated tea up until a few years ago. Now I’m all about a few different kinds. Aaron has (ever so kindly) pointed out how much tea I’ve been drinking. It’s that or turn up the heat haha

8. We hit -30F with the windchill over the weekend — it was insanity. I had to go out a few times, and my eyelids were literally sticking together whenever I blinked. So.not.cool. At least things are starting to warm up a little, though… and by that I mean that it’s now a balmy 7F :lol: I’m so ready for summer…
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. soft and chewy protein granola bars .My Profile

Wow. I’m struggling with our temp now! I feel like I’m walking through an ice cube haha I can’t even begin to imagine that cold. Whew stay warm!

9. I totally should have tried that water trick! That is so amazing! I’m so jealous of your day, enjoy every second of it!

10. I would love to snuggle in a heated blanket with a hot cup of tea or coffee and reading a book.
    My current favorite tea is Every Day Detox Herbal Tea. I am in love with it that I drink every afternoon.
    Harsha @ Healthy Cooking ‘N’ Fitness recently posted…Pretzel DelightsMy Profile

11. Oh my gosh! I’ve always wanted to try that water in the freezing air but I’ve never been anywhere cold enough! Have you seen that video of the people in Russia that throw BOILING water out of the window and it turns to snow?? So crazy!
    Lauren @Will Run for Boston recently posted…10 Minute Planks!My Profile

We actually tried one a little after, and it was just a few drops left in the mug, and it did turn to snow! It was crazy!

12. I want to try that with the freezing water! Totally doing that today when the temps drop a little more. Winter, GO HOME.
    Sarah @pickyrunner recently posted…CaloriesMy Profile

13. I can’t handle the cold.. is it summer yet?!

14. I am sick on this snow day, although I am pretty much doing what I would have been doing today anyway – watching loads of tv. I am happy that I saw a pretty little liars marathon is on all day, though! I can’t wait to get back on my running game because I have been missing running HIIT wkouts.
    Ang @ Nutty for Life recently posted…That Time I Wanted To Be A Meteorologist [Spill It Sunday #6]My Profile

I JUST SAW THAT! I am now on my couch watching it and loving it. I didn’t know it was starting new tonight! Made my day. I really hope you feel better, though! Running will be there for ya when you are ready!

15. You’re so lucky you get to stay inside on these awful days – it is miserable outside! And I’m loving the HIIT workout. I made it to kickboxing last night and ran this morning on the treadmill but could use some variety!
    Becky @ Olives n Wine recently posted…#17 Treat Yourself TuesdayMy Profile

Sometimes the treadmill calls for variety! Even today what I did I added in some HIIT just to break up the miles.

16. Awesome HIIT workout I’m sure it’s great for a cold ass day like the past 2 days have been!
    Kammie @ Sensual Appeal recently posted…When compliments feel like LIES… and what to do about it.My Profile

17. I hope you had a great day relaxing inside! I’m excited that the arctic-like temps are going away soon. It’s supposed to get up into the 30s this weekend, which is practically a heat wave from what it’s been! :)
    Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted…“I Thought it was Just Me (But It Isn’t)” {book review}My Profile

I walked outside today to 8 degrees and thought it was a heat wave, lol. I think our temps are going up to the 40s this weekend, too, so that will be much appreciated!

18. that picture of throwing water in the air is incredible! it’s been cold here (obviously) but certainly does NOT compare to you!
    jenn @ runnderlust recently posted…Week 1 Recap RungramsMy Profile

19. That’s hilarious about the water freezing in the air. I never would have thought of that… lol

How did you make the mug? I think that’s so cute! I’m actually drinking out a “Mrs.” mug right now that we got as a set for a present. But it’s not a cute as yours!
    Melissa @ Freeing Imperfections recently posted…6 Down-to-Earth Ways to Make the Most of the YearMy Profile

20. I forgot what snowdays are like because I grew up in WY and CO…… Where snow is of the norm, LOL! UGH! STAY WARMMMM!
    GiGi Eats Celebrities recently posted…Yum… Oh Wait No, That’s Yucky!My Profile

Haha I don’t know why they act like snow isn’t the norm around here. Cracks me up because it happens every year, but every year people get worse driving in it.

21. The snow kept me inside all weekend! (I am new to snow so driving is scary for me). That meant some yummy recipe developing and working on the new blog!
    Hayley @healthyregards recently posted…Bloglovin?My Profile

22. I love your mug..too cute! I can’t believe it was -30 degrees. That is freezing!! My husband was wondering if he could make snow by throwing water into the air. I guess now I can tell him that it would work!
    Sarah @ Sarah Sincerely recently posted…Weekend Wrap-Up {1/11-1/12}My Profile