Two Dates and Some Movies: MIMM

Good morning everyone! Are we well rested and ready to tackle another week? Sure hope so!

Going into this weekend, I really wasn’t sure what it would entail. I had practically zero plans, and thought it might be boring. It ended up to be quite marvelous and flew by!

Friday:

After a quick workout when I got home, Aaron and I were off on our date for dinner at the Waterfront. For those of you not from Pittsburgh, the Waterfront is basically just a lot of shopping and restaurants on the river front. It’s about a 35 minute drive from us now, so we don’t make it there that often, but enjoy it when we do. There’s a beautiful trail that my mom and I have biked on, and I enjoy walking and running on in the summer.

photo 1

Matt gave us a gift card for Rock Bottom, so we ventured down there for that restaurant. I meant to eat something after my workout, but totally forgot, and was actually pretty sick from being so hungry. I managed to snag a picture of the Jalapeno pretzel sticks, but then all bets were off. Thankfully their service was amazing and our food was out in just a few minutes! Aaron had Lobster and Shrimp Tacos and I had a Cheeseburger (wasn’t a huge fan; ate 2 bites) and a side of Mac and Cheese (amazing!). We made a few more stops after, and had planned on stopping for ice cream but were too stuffed. I made some chocolate chip cookies after getting home, and we enjoyed those!

Saturday:

A lazy morning turned into lunch with my dad at My Big Fat Greek Gyros. My entire family are huge Gyro lovers, so it made sense that we had a lunch date to a new Gyro place. My dad just started back to work this past Monday after his neck and shoulder problems, so I was excited to catch up and just spend some time with my dad.

photo 3

Look at that gyro! I completely demolished it. So. good! They even had these cards on the table that were trivia. I thought that was pretty cool!

photo 4

The afternoon included some napping, undecorating inside and outside, and a yummy leftover dinner. My mom has always taken down Christmas decorations and decorated for Snowman season, and I took part this year with just a few snowmen around the house. I won’t lie; as much as I loved our decorations, it was nice to have my house back to looking clean and organized!

We ended up not having plans for the night, so we took a trip to The Fresh Market. There’s one less than 5 minutes away, but we have never been to it.

photo 5

The candy aisle and the nut aisle were unreal. So were the ginormous Granny Smith Apples. We ended up with a Spaghetti Squash, and came home to watch Modern Family (we’re starting back at season 1) and hung out on the couch for a bit. I won’t lie; the Fresh Market was pretty expensive, and I will never go back. I wish I could afford all of it, but the fact is I can’t, and I’m totally fine with it. There were many products (like Red Mills Flax Seed) that were more than double the price of Trader Joe’s. I’ll stick to TJ’s from now on Winking smile

Sunday:

photo 2

After grocery shopping and a trip to Wal Mart bright and early (scored those shampoo and conditioner sets for $2!) Sunday was more of a lazy day. Aaron and I watched some movies, ordered pizza, and caught up on some things we have been putting off. I enjoyed a delicious smoothie while tackling my next picture project.

What a fantastic weekend. I am getting better at going with the flow and taking things as they come. A year or two ago, having zero plans for the weekend would have given me anxiety. Now, I just roll with it and am enjoying it much better.

What was your favorite part of the weekend?

Do you get anxious without plans for the weekend or does that make you excited?

Comments

1. Bummer about the burger, but hey at least the rest of your meals over the weekend were good. I was thinking of your dad about 2 weeks ago – so great to hear he’s doing much better. God is good!!

Favorite part of the weekend >> hmm tough one since I’ve been in bed post surgery…. probably watching Joshua make my cheesy crab & egg waffles for me. It was adorable watching him cook a recipe he’s never done before.
    Jessie recently posted…A Very Special GiveawayMy Profile

2. seriously a candy aisle is my best friend, I could live in one of those and just get lost. favorite part of my weekend – hmmm probably just laying low friday night to catch up on much needed sleep!
    alex @ therunwithin recently posted…Like me. Like hell. Like everybody else.My Profile

3. Your weekend sounds great! Are you just now starting to get into Modern Family? We love it, and I think you will too! It’s so funny! We didn’t have any plans going into our weekend, but it ended up being jam packed and we were hardly home at all! It was a fun weekend, but since we were gone the whole time I didn’t get anything done around the house, and I’m going grocery shopping after work now. It’s okay though, like you said I’m learning to just go with it.
    Becky recently posted…Fitness Week of 1/6-1/12/14My Profile

I’ve watched it since the beginning, but Aaron just picked up the last season or so. The early ones are so much better, so we figured we would just start at the beginning! Haha It’s seriously so funny; I can’t handle it, haha. Sometimes weekends that end up jam packed with fun things are awesome :) Glad you had a fun one!

4. I spent the weekend snowboarding in the mountains, so that was definitely the highlight for me… and as much as I like having plans and knowing what I’ll be doing, more often than not I prefer to just go with the flow and see what happens. And I seriously need to take down my Christmas decorations. I love ‘em, but being away and coming home last night to a house all decked out in decorations was a bit disorienting :lol:
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. as we speak… in the mountains .My Profile

I’m jealous of your snowboarding weekend! I definitely loved the Christmas decorations, but can understand how coming home to them is a little much, haha In the same sense, I hated putting it all away! lol

5. All we have is a Fresh Market, and I have dreams of how wonderful it would be to have a Trader Joe’s.. I hope your dad is feeling better and I am with you on the decorations- I was glad to get rid of the clutter. Have a great Monday!
    Heather Murphy recently posted…Five ways to stick to a new fitness regimen.My Profile

I wish Trader Joes would expand their horizons! Lol they really don’t have many stores for all the people who would love it!

6. I’m definitely impressed by that candy and nut aisle! Wow!

Best part of the weekend…getting a really great workout in on Saturday and making homemade granola bars for the first time. Yummy!
    Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted…The Starfish StoryMy Profile

7. I love not having plans for the weekend, then I can either do things that I’ve been putting off, or do anything, But mainly it allows me to relax :). What is a gyro?? It looks like a burrito, and it looks good!! Fresh Market reminds me of Whole Foods, I don’t go often, and I never buy anything other than their salads (and those are bought maybe once a month if I’m lucky!) for the same reason. TJ’s all the way!!
    Chelsea @ A Fit LittleOne recently posted…Banana Oat PancakesMy Profile

A gyro is basically a sauce that I can’t describe (lol), lamb meat, lettuce, tomato, and onions. It’s to die for, honestly. lol I never would have said I’d eat lamb meet, but it’s really good :)

8. Jordan and I had our first date at Rock Bottom — some of their entrees are hit or miss, but we’re a fan of the pretzel appetizer! It looks like you had a great weekend!
    Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted…A New ChapterMy Profile

9. The fresh market is so freaking expensive, and honestly, I wasn’t that impressed with it! I would prefer to go to whole foods or TJs if I’m going to spend my money on that stuff. Also, that building is deceivingly large for the size!

I don’t really get anxious when I don’t have plans for the weekend, but I imagine that once my days are all 9-5 I will want to make sure my weekends have something scheduled for fun!
    Ang @ Nutty for Life recently posted…Sleepless [MIMM #21]My Profile

Yes! Oh my gosh that building is massive, and we walked in and I was disappointed, hahaha I just don’t get it.. but I will stick to TJs ;)

10. These days, I am super excited for no plan weekends haha. They are few and far between so I try to make the most of them! You may have seen the boys without realizing it Friday night…they were there with their parents for dinner too ;) I have to check out that gyro place…we love them but have yet to find a really good place that makes them :)
    Caitlin recently posted…Gaining Some PerspectiveMy Profile

Mike and Tony’s 15th street in Southside. Best gyros ever! And are open really late. I won’t tell you how many late night gyros I’ve eaten while out in Southside (not now because I’m old and don’t go to Southside or stay late if i end up there against my wishes)

11. I usually plan myself silly but am exhausted when Monday comes around :) This weekend I went in with minimal plans and it was a huge success!
    Kaitlin recently posted…Marvelous with Meghan in ManhattanMy Profile

12. Sooooo I have to admit it… Fresh market is my favorite grocery store at school. It’s like my version of whole foods. The candy aisle gets me every time. Same with the bulk bins of sesame seeds. Holy goodness. And don’t get me started on the apples. I literally refuse to buy them anywhere else. They’re that mind blowing. Every other apple now seems minuscule. But I try to limit my purchases there to just apples (and the occasional chocolate cake and bulk bin- too hard to resist!) since like you said, it’s pricey. And now my mouth is watering for that restaurant. Need. Food. Now.
    Sarah @pickyrunner recently posted…Not again and it just feels rightMy Profile

I’ve actually never been to Whole Foods. The apples did look amazing. I won’t lie; all the produce looked delicious, but just expensive. The candy aisle would be my danger zone, for sure haha. I didn’t see sesame seeds, but I don’t think I like them, lol.

13. Looks like a fun weekend! I’ve been really trying to watch what I eat and so that pizza looks SO good. Ahhhh.
    I cant wait to see your picture wall. I’ve been wanting to do the same but Im putting it off in case we get to move soon!

14. I prefer TJs to fresh market too. It’s way too expensive! I actually love heading into a weekend with no plans lined up. I feel like I’m “on” so much during the work week that a couple days napping in my yoga pants with the cat sounds amazing!
    Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food recently posted…Low-key weekend highlightsMy Profile

15. I have started to get excited when I have ZERO plans on the weekend. I’m so lame ;) Some plans are nice but I don’t like weekends that are booked solid! Looks like you had a great one <3
    Becky @ Olives n Wine recently posted…Cinnamon Raisin Oatmeal MuffinsMy Profile

I totally agree! If I have just a few small things or one big thing, I’m more than ok! It gets me out of my house (I probably wouldn’t leave if I didn’t have plans in the winter…) but not too much :)

16. That candy aisle looks dangerous. My sweet tooth would not be able to hold back! Looks like you had a fun, spontaneous weekend with your loved ones. Every once in a while I desperately need a weekend with no plans. Thankfully, it looks like I will have a few of those in January. :)
    Kristen @ Glitter and Dust recently posted…Lone Survivor, Football, and a Winter WonderlandMy Profile

Yay! Those weekends are great for the soul, I swear. It’s just that time we need to decompress and get ready for what’s to come!

17. I love your cute outfit with the striped shirt, scarf, and leggings! Glad to have found your blog through the Marvelous Monday Linkup. Suddenly now I’m craving Gyros though….
    On the Daily Express

18. I love just rolling with it during the weekend too, and I think it is great because you are living in the moment. I think this allows you to really take in everything that you do, big or small!
    Kelsey @ Ramblings of Change recently posted…Thinking Out Loud / #2My Profile