Painting With a Twist

Every year at Christmas, my family does a grab bag with whatever family members wish to participate. Being that we have family all over the country, some gifts are hand delivered, and some are mailed. This year, my cousin had my mom in the grab bag and present her with a coupon for a painting class and to take a guest! I’m not sure who was happier- my mom or me! We wish my cousin could have been in Pittsburgh to give a gift, but this gift certificate quickly became a favorite.

Painting with a Twist sign

A little background: My mom is an artist (painter). She grew up painting and continued on until she decided she wasn’t a fan of being told what to paint. She couldn’t have someone say she needed to go out and stare at something and then paint it. She’s very artistic and very creative, and that stopped her creative juices. She has painted on and off through the years, but not for any particular reason, and hasn’t done much lately. That’s why this gift was perfect- she was able to go out and paint, but not have to think about it. P.S. my mom loves to draw and color, and when I was in grade school and brought home page that needed colored for homework, she would do it! ha She claimed it wasn’t worth my time when I had other homework, but she loved it.

Mom and me

Now, where do I fit in? Definitely not with the creative or artistic abilities, that’s for sure! I just got to tag along! I have zero creative juices, and am not artistic at all, but heard this was totally capable of the worst painters (that’s me!)

a painting

Immediately after Christmas, my mom started looking at the schedule. That’s the first thing I like about Painting with a Twist. The schedule is on the website and you can view the painting of the night. if you don’t like it, pick another night. On the 15th of each month, the next month’s calendar became available. By the time we looked in early January, most of the awesome paintings were sold out so we waited until the 15th to see February’s paintings. We chose a painting that we felt would look good in both of our homes, and booked it!

the original painting

I had a few friends who have actually done this, and I was amazed that their paintings looked just as great as the original! I was a little apprehensive that mine would not look close to what it should, but I was really excited to try it. The first thing to note is that you are allowed, and encouraged, to bring wine, food, beverages of all sorts! We had people with plates of cheese and crackers, dips, soft pretzels, tortilla chips, etc. The staff made it so accommodating and really made you feel at home and at ease.

pittsburgh painting

Once we arrived, we both put on our aprons- really nice that they supply you with these so you don’t have to worry about getting it on your clothes! It is acrylic paint, so it typically stains your clothes, but they help you immediately try to get it out if that happens.

Memy mom

Just look at all those paintings! There were so many different and unique ones!

There was an instructor along with two helpers who would walk around and watch what we were doing, help us, fix the mistakes, or tell us good job. This allowed the instructor to keep moving along and not get stuck helping everyone out. She started on time, which I loved. I hate waiting around after the start time for no reason.

start of my painting

You could tell they knew exactly what they were doing, and helped us achieve the same look. I was skeptical mine would ever look like the finished project, but I kept trucking along listening to her. At times, I think it was better I had no previous experience because I wasn’t so OCD about getting things perfect (but I was OCD about different parts of the painting!).

excited about my painting

There was a break in the class to allow the background to dry (this picture) and they played some games with all of the students. It was a fun ice breaker and a way to relax for a few minutes! Though I had no idea how a blank canvas could turn into something like a painting, I realized everyone’s will be different, but everyone’s will be similar, too.

Paintings they have done

The class was from 7-9, and ended at 9 o’clock. She showed us the last steps so we could all finish by 9, and if you needed to keep working, you could for a few extra minutes. I’m such a time follower, so of course I loved finishing on time, haha.

us with our finished ones

My mom and I finished and I loved the results! Aren’t they great?! Both are different, but the same image. I am not sure where I am going to hang it yet, but I’m already hooked and can’t wait to go back!

A few other tidbits that I loved about Painting with A Twist:

• They really do lead you through everything. The instructor even messed up on the heart to show us how we could fix ours if we did the same.
  • The helpers helped by walking around and making sure we had enough paint/ refilled the paint supplies/ answered our silly questions, and so forth!
  • You can get a frequent painter card to get stamped everytime you go. Once you go 10 times, you will get a free painting class, and your own embroidered apron.
  • There is a party room that you need a minimum of 10 people for and you can choose the painting you want to do, and bring in your food/drink (same as if not in a party room) for the same price.
  • The cost is so reasonable. For the 2 hr class, including the apron, the paint supplies, and canvas, was only $35! That is not bad at all if you ask me. There are some more difficult paintings that are 3 hours in length and are $45.
  • There really are tons of paintings, so you will be able to find one you like!

finished paintings

There was actually nothing I didn’t like about this. I can’t wait to go again! My mom and I are hoping to get a group of 10 (or more) family members together to rent the room and have a blast painting! There were so many groups of girls out for a girls night, which was a fantastic idea! I think Aaron would love it, too, and am thinking of making it a date night soon! There were a few mother-daughters, few men, few couples. Overall it was fantastic, and I have a painting to hang in my house!

There are a lot of locations, so check it out and see if one is near you!

Are you a good painter? Ever painted before?

Have you ever been to one of these?

What kind of image would you like to paint?

I am not being compensated for this post in any way. We used my mom’s gift certificate from Christmas. I just loved it so much I wanted to share!

Comments

1. I’ve always wanted to try this! One day I will actually get on it :) Your pics look great.
    Runner Girl Eats recently posted…WTF?! WednesdayMy Profile

Maybe after that big thing coming up.. ya know, your wedding!!! Much more free time will ensue after that’s over!

2. I have terrible artistic skills- I even dropped out of a basic art class in college because the professor was so mean about my first painting! Wimp I know, but it wasn’t fun. But this sounds like a blast! Especially with my momma!

3. These classes look so fun! I need to check one out in our area. I love everything about art, but I’m definitely lacking in the skills department.
    Rhiannon recently posted…Aloha DinnerMy Profile

4. We have a place similar to this in Augusta called Artsy Me. I’ve been dying to try it because I have absolutely zero artistic skill in my body! Yours and your mom’s paintings turned out so beautiful! I love that each is so unique. What a great mother-daughter experience!
    Stacie @ Simply Southern Stacie recently posted…Workout Wednesday: Show Off That BootyMy Profile

5. I love those! I keep wanting to sign up for one of these classes through groupon or living social. i just need to bite the bullet and do it.!
    Alex @ therunwithin recently posted…Loud Mouth: Go TimeMy Profile

6. That is so awesome!!! I have always wanted to do one of those! It came out so good too! I will have to find out if they do those classes in Philly somewhere! Would be a lot of fun! So many cherished moments too. I am not the best at painting, but I do enjoy it.

Thanks for sharing your experience!
    Tina Muir recently posted…Superfood Southwestern Farro BakeMy Profile

It is really easy to just follow along and makes for a great stress-free night. We all need those breaks from the world and just do something to relax ourselves!

7. This looks so cool!! You and your mom look SO much alike. I’m glad you had a fun outing with her :)
    Sarah @pickyrunner recently posted…Mom’s Here! And winning weekMy Profile

8. I know I’ve said this before but you are the spitting image of your mom! Adorable :) And if I weren’t such an awful painter, I’d love to try this. I might be able to handle it if they walk you through, step by step but my painting would probably look horrifying ;) Haha!
    Becky @ Olives n Wine recently posted…Finding BalanceMy Profile

I don’t see it at all! It made me smile though because I think she’s beautiful :) You could definitely do this! I swear you don’t have to know how to paint! I really didn’t!!! And you can drink wine while you’re at it.. it can’t get better!

9. This looks so fun! I have never done this, but I have been somewhere where you pick any piece of pottery you want that they have, and then you paint it however you want. This class sounds so fun though, and I love that you did it with your mom! I am going to find one close to us and see if my Mom wants to do it with me! :)
    Becky recently posted…Week of Fitness 2.17-2.23.2014My Profile

10. I’m a terrible painter, but this actually sounds like a lot of fun! My brother and dad are very creative, but I certainly didn’t get the artsy gene. ;-) Your paintings turned out beautiful!
    Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted…Why I Learned to Love to PlankMy Profile

11. Love your painting. We have a place near me just like that called Bottle and Bottega. I went last year for the first time with a friend and it was so much fun. I definietly want to do it again sometime.
    Alicia recently posted…Day off and Treat Yourself Tuesday #2My Profile

12. This looks like SO much fun. I know for sure now that my family and I have to go do this. A girl cousin + aunts night out for sure. The closest I ever came to making an accurate copy of a painting was in high school when we were working with.. ah shoot I can’t remember what they’re called by they look like large crayons and they smudge/smear easily.. anyway, I love Edgar Degas so I remade one of his dancing ballerina paintings and it was actually decent. My mom has it on her wall now!
    Ang @ Nutty for Life recently posted…Body Image: The Way My Stomach Looks [Thinking Out Loud #7]My Profile

Yes! Perfect idea for a girls night out!! I know what you are talking ab out.. I can’t think of the name either. I tried those in high school just for the fun of it ha Mine was not wall worthy!

13. Love this!! I’ve never painted before so I’m not sure if I can or not haha I remember I couldn’t paint in kindergarten though! I would totally do this, it sounds like so much fun! Great job on your painting!! I think it looks great :)
    Chelsea @ A Fit LittleOne recently posted…Thinking Out Loud #5My Profile

14. They both look so good! I’ve taken a class like this, and I want to do it again — it’s so much fun!
    Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted…7 Ways to Make the Most of Your Wedding DayMy Profile

It’s like the perfect girls night idea! I love that you get something in return, ya know? You’re not paying just to go somewhere and the money is gone. This way you can always remember it :)

15. Those both look so great! I have like zero painting or artistic ability but have always wanted to try this out! It seems like so much fun!!
    Elizabeth {Positively Healthy} recently posted…Day in the Life {We had a MOUSE in the House!}My Profile

I’m there with ya on the artistic abilities. I was definitely skeptical a person like me who can’t draw or do anything would be able to paint, but i was!

16. And you have officially convinced me I need to get my rear end to one of these stat! A gf and I were talking about going, and I just think it would be so much fun :) I’m not good at painting, but I really enjoy it and wish I was…sounds like this is just the thing for me :D
    Caitlin recently posted…Thinking Out Loud #11My Profile

17. Oh my gosh, your paintings are gorgeous!! I took a painting class like this once, and while mine certainly didn’t turn out too beautifully (I am not an artist my nature), I’d love to do it again – so fun!
    Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted…taking a breakMy Profile

18. How fun! I just did a similar class last weekend and loved it! Definitely want to do it again!
    Giselle Schroer Schroer recently posted…Searching for the Silver Lining…My Profile

19. I just looked up a similar place like this near me —looks like so much fun! I want to learn how to paint!
    jenn @ runnderlust recently posted…I can walk!My Profile

They don’t necessarily teach you how to paint for you to go off and be able to paint beautiful paintings the next day, but I definitely learned a few things :)

20. I’m a terrible painter and have awful art skills but I have always been intrigued by these classes and wondering if it help me create a masterpiece
    Laura@Fit Running Mama recently posted…Mashup Conditioning DVD Review and GiveawayMy Profile

21. I’ve been wanting to try a class like this for awhile now, but always forget about them when it comes down to decision time. The paintings are great- I think you did get the artistic gene. I’m with your mom on coloring- I still love it !
    Heather Murphy recently posted…What’s keeping you from losing the weight? I may have the answers.My Profile

I really can’t draw or paint, but that’s what is fantastic about this place! They lead you through all the steps so you know how to do it and everyone’s turned out fantastic!

22. What a cute mother daughter date! I don’t have an artistic bone in my body, but I would still love to take a painting class just for fun.
    Ashley@cupcakesncrunches recently posted…Friday FavoritesMy Profile

23. A few friends and I just registered to go here in a few weeks; now I’m even more excited! I have the same thoughts on lack of drawing/painting skills though, hah.
    Abby recently posted…Killing time untilMy Profile