I’m a family person

There’s not much more I enjoy than time spent with family. Whether it’s an impromptu gathering, or a family get together, I live for those moments. Catching up with others, hearing about their lives, and just enjoying the company is what I live for. I’ve always been a family person, so you can imagine how much I love vacations spent with a large portion of my family.

IMG_0794

On Saturday, we will leave for a week long vacation to Deep Creek Lake in Maryland. This vacation tradition has been going on since my dad’s family was young! This year, we have family coming in from Delaware, Texas, Oregon, and Virginia, not to mention Pennsylvania. My dad is one of ten children, and though not everyone can come, we have a blast with how many can! I believe on Sunday alone, we have 40 people for dinner! I should note, this vacation is with my dad’s side of the family. No worries, we are going on a vacation with my mom’s side at the end of July. What can I say, we love our families!

IMG_0883

Our days are spent lounging on the dock, participating in water sports behind the boat, or just laying in the grass. We wake up whenever we want, go for runs or walks if we want, we have home cooked meals, and we catch up. You can bet there are loads of candy on this vacation, too! We all eat healthy, but this week is our one that we just have a blast with and (over) indulge. Hey, it’s vacation! We play games at night, stay up too late chatting, and sing songs around the campfire.

IMG_0843

This year, because so many out of towners are able to come, we have two houses! We lucked out and have two lake front houses right beside each other, each with their own private docks. Some of you may remember, but two years ago, Aaron proposed to me in the middle of Deep Creek Lake one night! It will forever have a special memory in my heart.

I will still be popping in with some scheduled posts, and I am going to try to pop in and share what’s going on, but if not, it’s because I am having a blast with the cousins I don’t see all the time, and the family I just love being around.

Do you take family vacations?

What’s your favorite thing to eat over a campfire?

We take a family vacation to Deep Creek every year, and most years we try to go somewhere with my mom’s side of the family.
My favorite thing is pizza pies!

Comments

1. I can’t get over your dad having 9 siblings. What a big family. That’s pretty cool though. Assuming you have lots of cousins? 🙂 Don’t even worry about stopping in girl. Have fun & enoy the time w/ everyone who lives States away!
    Jessie recently posted…Thinking Out Loud #3My Profile

I have posts pre written, so it’ll just be hear and there if I’m on the dock on my phone or something. No worries, I don’t plan to take away and miss any time spent with them! I have 25 cousins and (I think) 17 first cousins once removed, or whatever cousins kids are 🙂

2. What a family! And I love that you all make real effort to see each other. My husband’s family (dad’s side) have big big reunions every year and the brothers and their families all try to get together for Thanksgiving. My Mom’s family used to get together at Christmas, but that has been a bit sparse in the past few years. But we ain’t got nothing on you guys!
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…Watching TV At Work #thinkingoutloudMy Profile

Haha it’s intense, but I love it! I think that’s how I became such a family person because I’ve always been surrounded at family gatherings. It’s funny because Aaron has 5 siblings and no extended family, and though I am only one of two, it’s funny that I feel closer to my fam that is all extended.

3. That sounds so fun!! My mom’s side of the family used to go on cruises together, but we haven’t been on one in several years. It’s just so hard to get everyone together, so you are blessed to have everyone in one place for a week : )
    Stacie @ SimplySouthernStacie recently posted…Red, White, and Blue Greek Yogurt ParfaitMy Profile

It is really hard to get everyone together, I totally get that! Because we’ve been doing this for so long, everyone is just used to it and plans it in!

4. We are big family people too! We’ve gone to Disney with 20+ people and are down the shore almost every weekend with everyone. I love it!
    Favorite thing over a campfire…s’mores of course! 🙂
    Karen @karenlovestorun
    Karen Loves to Run (@karenlovestorun) recently posted…SUMMER 2014 Running Goals + Happy JulyMy Profile

There’s just something about being with the fam that is amazing! I am so glad you get to see yours so often, too!

5. Have a good vacation! You know I’m a family person too, so I totally appreciate this. Soak it all in 🙂
    Sarah @pickyrunner recently posted…Hurricane WatersMy Profile

6. I love how close you are to your family because I’m the same way. My family is not nearly as big as yours though! Your vacation sounds so fun! I have never heard of a pizza pie though. What is that?
    Becky recently posted…Week of Fitness 2/24-3/2/2014My Profile

Oh gosh, it’s delicious! I might just have to take pictures and make it a recipe for everyone 😉 Think pizza over a fire, though!

7. Smores and italian sausage! That’s what we usually cook over the fire!
    I love family vacations 🙂 Family is so important to me and just so thankful for them!
    Audrey @ In Shape Cupcake recently posted…How I’m Dealing with My Unemployment (Personal)My Profile

8. I’m going down the shore with a bunch of family this weekend for the Fourth! I absolutely love spending time with all my cousins on the beach 🙂 Have a wonderful and safe trip! Enjoy some s’mores for me!
    Leslee @ Her Happy Balance recently posted…Shrimp Du JourMy Profile

Have a fun time this weekend! Extended weekends from holidays make the best weekends!

9. I secretly love vacationing with my family… although over the years I’ve started to learn that I do want to go on trips myself. My family and I have a very different view now of where to eat, what to see, etc. on vacay, so we try to work it out best we can. I’m going away later this month and I know it’s going to be an active trip for me because we get all of the outdoor equipment for free! So that’s fun. 🙂

I’ve never been to Deep Creek, but it’s such a popular place for Pittsburghers to go. I love lake vacations so I’m sure I’d love it too.
    Ang @ Nutty for Life recently posted…Chocolate Walnut Energy BitesMy Profile

You would definitely love it! I know you would 🙂 I don’t think I could vacation myself. We enjoyed our honeymoon ourselves, but at least I had one other person, lol. I’m more of someone who wants to be with others, even if I am doing my own things.

10. Enjoy your vacation! Family time is so important to me too. As I’m wrapping up my vacation I’m wishing I was on your end 🙂 have fun!
    Emily @MyHealthyishLife recently posted…Grain of SaltMy Profile

11. Sounds like you will have an amazing time! I stayed with a friend’s family in Idaho when I was a teenager and they used to all meet up every Summer for Independence Day which I got to be a part of and had a fantastic time. Over here, we barely ever meet up as a family and that’s pretty sad. I haven’t been on holiday with my parents and brother since I was nine! 🙁
    Mary recently posted…MK10k – a strong raceMy Profile

Oh my gosh I can’t even imagine that! Do you not live near them? Sorry it’s been so long

12. I”m with you, I love family time. I think I really cherish it so much more now since lost of us are grown, married, and not all living near each other. Your trip sounds like SO much fun!! I’m jealous! Enjoy your time!!!

PS. 10 brothers!! WOW! My dad is one of 4 boys and I thought I had lots of cousins (15)! I don’t have anything on you, girl!
    Sarah @ Sarah Sincerely recently posted…Thinking Out Loud #17My Profile

Trackbacks

1. […] morning, everyone! I am home from not only vacation, but also a wedding for my friend that was a few hours away. I am totally exhausted, but in a good […]